Please Click Here to redirect to mobile/low bandwidth website


filler image


About Our Department

Meet Our Faculty

Research Opportunities

Programs Offered
--Physics B.A., B.S. & Concentration
--Engineering Physics Dual Degree (3/2)
--The Independently Designed Major
--Course Descriptions

Virtual Tour

--for activities, links, jobs,
summer opportunities

RC Homepage

Winfree Observatory
Creative Labs



filler image

Engineering Physics B.S.
Dual Degree (3/2) Program

filler image

With our Dual Degree program you will benefit from the best of both worlds: a solid liberal arts education, that is appealing to graduate schools and the job market alike, and the experiences of studying at both a large university and a small college. This unique undergraduate opportunity will provide you with the experience and knowledge that will serve you well in your future in Engineering or related fields.

For the student interested in a degree in engineering, but who also wants the benefits of a liberal arts education, the College has entered into agreements (commonly referred to as “3-2” or “dual degree” programs) with the engineering schools at Vanderbilt University, Washington University St. Louis, and the University of Virginia. Students are not limited to these choices. Students major in engineering physics at RC and can transfer at the end of the junior year to the engineering program at one of these schools. Successful completion of the first year of the engineering program results in a Bachelor of Science in engineering physics from RC and completion of the second year results in a Bachelor of Science or in some cases a Master’s degree in engineering from the university attended. Admission to the engineering program is automatic as long as the student has completed the necessary prerequisites and has a B average or better.

More specifically, here are your options:

  • You do three years of study at RC, in physics, chemistry, computer science, math, and possibly biology

  • During your third year, you choose whether you are going to go on in engineering, or stay at RC to finish a physics or math (or possibly other) degree

  • If you choose to continue in engineering, you will apply to the engineering schools of your choice, which need not be on our list - the ones on our list are essentially guaranteed admission

  • Whatever school you choose, you can complete one year of engineering (total of four years), and then you will receive a B.S. in Engineering Physics from Randolph; you can choose to end there and receive only that degree

  • If you go on for the second year at your engineering school (five total years), you will receive a degree in the engineering field of your choice from that school

  • Alternatively, if you complete one year of engineering at University of Virginia, you can then go right into an ME or MS program in engineering, and receive the ME in one additional year (five total), or the M.S. degree in your field of engineering in an additional 18-24 months (5.5-6 years total)

  • Note: Financial aid packages at the engineering schools are not guaranteed, but tend to be competitive


Department of Physics
Randolph College
2500 Rivermont Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24503
tel.: (434) 947-8488   fax: (434) 947-8333